Why Should I?
The explorer program will provide you with opportunities to build your communication and social skills with the public during many community events. You become experienced with the chain of command and excel your mental and physical capabilities in a variety of training and biannual academies. The program will provide those interested in law enforcement with all the knowledge and skills they will need for their field, making success for them much easier to obtain. But it also provides those without an interest in a career in law enforcement with many life skills that can be applied in any work place, as well as form a more well rounded character for the participant.
• Can not have a criminal record
• Between the ages of 14 and 20
• Maintain at least a 2.0 school GPA
• In good standing with school and community
• Attend 3 consecutive meetings
• Fingerprinting (part of background check)
• Pass an oral board hosted by 3 explorers and/or an advisor
• Pass a full background check (application below, bring to first meeting)
• Complete at least one academy (basic)
• Pass all three phase tests (at meetings)
• Phase tests consist of phonetic alphabet, mapping, filling out police documents, etc.
Basic (required for everyone)
EAA (academy maintenance staff) *requires 2 advanced before eligible
Selection (practice hiring process)
APD (Academy Police Dept)